In 1908 Westport golf club was founded at Trafalgar Park, now Known as Horkan’s Hill, just a ten minute walk from Westport town center. 1815 saw a new course being developed at Old Carrowholly and in 1927, with a membership of 80, the first Pavilion was built. Golf continued to be enjoyed by countless numbers on this 9 hole course until 1973.
By the mid sixties, with the game of golf becoming ever more popular all over the world, new lands were sought for an 18 hole course. During the following number of years and involving much deliberation and debate some 250 acres on Lord Sligo’s estate were acquired and Fred Hawtree commissioned to design a championship golf course. Course construction started in 1971 and continued until 1973 and was officially opened by An Taiseach, Mr Liam Cosgrave in 1975.